Hosting a Girls on Key Event
About Girls on Key
Girls on Key is a feminist poetry reading featuring women and gender diverse poets. All genders welcome in the audience and on the open mic. We are a safe space for the lgtbqia+ community and welcome all first nations and linguistically diverse poets across our events.
1. Find a venue. Girls on Key venues are intimate, inclusive and disability accessible. Hosts will need to create their own arrangements with venues, including pricing and set up of sound equipment. Each venue will have their own requirements and you will need to create a monthly booking on a regular day or evening of your choosing. Door charge is $10 or $8 concession in order to pay poets and cover admin costs.
2. Book 1 or 2 featured poets. Poets and spoken word artists who are women and gender diverse.
Send the feature FAQs to poets, which has all the information they need. Check with Anna to update the FAQs specific to your city. Features to provide a photo and short bio paragraph for the event promo. It is customary to have the next event ready to promote at the event.
3. Set up a Facebook group for your host city e.g. Girls on Key Nigeria and request admin access to the Girls on Key Facebook page to do this.
4. Nominate a charity for proceeds of the raffle.
5. Create a Facebook event, using the Girls on Key Facebook page and event format provided
6. Create a flyer and post in Canva, using the login supplied and the Girls on Key format and logo.
1. Doors open. Welcome guests and acknowledge first nations peoples. Give any notices e.g. toilet locations and event format.
2. 5 x open mic readers (3 minute time limit - original poetry)
3. Introduce first featured artist (10-15 minute reading)
4. Break for 10 minutes (sell raffle tickets)
5. Remaining open mic readers
6. Raffle and notices e.g. promoting next event or any books for sale.
7. Second feature reader (if there is one)
8. Thanks and closing.
You Will Need
Cash box and $30 float ($10s and $2 coins)
Raffle items e.g. donated books
Sound equipment (if not provided by venue) - speaker,mic, lead and mic stand, music stand for holding people's writing
Notebook and pen or small whiteboard and pen for listing open mic readers and taking note of door tallies
Event volunteers: MC/host, door person and sound person (not compulsory), photographer
Square payment app and login from Anna if taking care payments for door
After the Event
Complete the Event Report
Pay 20% of door takings to each featured poet
Pay 20% of door takings to Girls on Key via Paypal or direct bank deposit if available
Pay raffle proceeds to nominated charity
Provide any event issues or feedback to the manager, Anna Forsyth as needed
Overflow funds can be donated or kept by event host for admin costs
Share photos from the event on the Girls on Key Facebook page and in your group